WELCOME FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Ligbron Academy of Technology® takes note of Bill Gates’ remark that knowledge is the key to power and management, and those who obtain the knowledge enjoy the advantage and will definitely deliver the best service to the client. Therefore we regularly send staff members to congresses in South Africa, as well as to world technology shows, where the necessary knowledge can be obtained to serve the best interests of all the learners of our school and to prepare them for life in the 21st century. We are prepared to make new leaps to remain ahead of educational and technological developments worldwide and we run our school as an educational business.
At Ligbron Academy of Technology ® we are committed to providing students with every possible opportunity to develop their talent and passion so that they are prepared to change the world. We have great expectations of our students because society has great expectations of its scientific and technical leaders who improve the quality of our lives through groundbreaking discoveries, inventions, technology innovations, medical advances, company growth and job creation. An education at Ligbron offers far more than most of the schools. The technological tools we use to educate our students are unique and will not be found in many schools in South Africa. We foster a collaborative learning environment that develops students as bold inquirers, problem solvers and ethical leaders.
Our talented teachers, who are among the nation’s best, guide students to engage in exploration, think critically and creatively, and apply their cross-discipline knowledge to address significant, real-world issues. Parents and learners are our “clients” to whom we are happy to deliver A-quality service. Added to this is our view that the Lord is Principal of our school, and that we, like a good family, love our pupils, but also discipline them strictly. This is the success recipe for a happy school that is blessed in all areas.
In the early 1940’s the Dutch Reformed Church and the Rev. N.J. Veltman realized that young people needed to be trained in commerce. Discussions to start evening classes failed, and there was no assistance from the then Department of Education. In 1958 the “Reddingsdaadbond” offered financial help and two commercial schools were started, one in Johannesburg and one in Ermelo. The very first educator was Mr. J.H. Kotze. Mr. Koot Kruger was the first Principal for both these schools. In 1954 Mr. P.J. Heyl became the first full time principal. The school became a registered State School in 1956.
The commercial school was first housed in the Dutch Reformed Church hall called the Johanna-hall. When this hall was demolished the foundation-stone was cemented into the present school building, which was erected and officially inaugurated on 3 November 1961. The new school was called Albert Hertzog Commercial High School, named after Dr. Hertzog.
Mr. Heyl resigned on 29 September 1967. Mr. G.B. Jordaan became principal from January 1968. In the same year the then Transvaal Education Department became the school’s national employer. A Technical study course was implemented in the school to manage the policy of differentiation. The school also celebrated its 25th year of existence.
At first the subjects Electricians work and Fitting- and Turning were introduced, then Motor Mechanics, Technical Electronical and Welding- and Metal works followed in 1972. In 1973 the first pupils registered for a Technical course and in 1977 the school became a fully registered Technical school. Technicians who were so urgently needed in the Country came to the school for training. The school expanded very fast and soon a vice-principal post was established. Mr. D.J. Ligthelm filled this post.
In May 1977 the Advisory Council of the school changed to a Board of Control. The school name therefore changed to High School Ligbron (initiated by Mr. D. van der Nest). Mr. G.B. Jordaan finally resigned after 19 years of duty. His successor was Mr. J.P. Smith in January 1988. During October of the same year the school name once again changed to Technical High School Ligbron. Mr. Smit was offered a promotional post in Springs and Mr. C.J. Bester became his successor on 1 April 1992. Mr. Bester vacated this post in December 1999. Mr. J.J. Du P. van Rensburg, Vice-principal at the time, became principal in July 2000. Under his visionary leadership, a shift in emphasis in the school’s curriculum was implemented and the worldwide need for education in Technology is now being addressed. The school’s name changed again to reflect this shift, and it is now called Ligbron Academy of Technology.
Ligbron Academy of Technology offers the highest quality of education to learners academically, technologically and morally in a disciplined environment, ensuring that they are to be assertive, contributing employees and leaders in their chosen career field after completion of school.
Culturally diverse learners are guided to experience fulfilment and success in the areas of academics, culture, sport, technology and morals while opportunities for leadership development are created and pursued in these areas.
Educational excellence, through both Afrikaans and English mediums, is ensured by maintaining a competent and motivated professional corps of teachers through proper selection, in-service training and monitoring.
Value is added to neighbouring historically disadvantaged and underperforming schools through the e-learning project by broadcasting mathematics and science lessons to the benefit of these underprivileged learners via interactive whiteboards.
The Christian ethos and value system is upheld and practiced within the school community.
Educational laws / regulations, school rules and traditions are honoured.
The dignity of educators and learners is treasured and their rights to equal opportunity in a non-discriminating, multi-cultural environment are promoted.
Educators and learners act in accordance with to the code of conduct of the school with respect, integrity, responsibility and discipline at its core.